Resources for planning a cycling adventure
Factsheets for Planning a Cycing Activity
- Guide to planning a Cycling activity (PDF)
- Route Planning for Cycling activities (PDF)
- Risk Management for Cycling activities (PDF)
- Clothing and Equipment for Cycling activities (PDF)
- Environmental considerations for Cycling activities (PDF)
- Repair kits, tools and maintenance for Cycling activities (PDF)
- Pre-ride checks (ABCDQ bike check and helmet checks) (PDF)
- Useful Apps for Cycling activities (PDF)
Event Planning Templates
Example Cycling programs for Section Nights
Cycling related charities
One thing to consider for your cycling activity or program is the option of also adding some learning around local and global inequity. There are a number of charities that undertake projects relating to provision of new or used bikes to individuals or communities who may not otherwise have access. You could consider fundraising or collecting useable second-hand bikes to provide to these charities as part of a broader program or as a Special Interest Area (SIA) project for a Scout or Project Patrol of Scouts.
- World Bicycle Relief (larger global charity, accept fundraising only as they make their own bikes to support communities in Africa, Asia and South America)
- Bicycles for Humanity Melbourne (Australian charity, accept good condition bikes, donations and volunteer support, to send second-hand bikes to communities in Nambia)
- Bicycles for Humanity Western Australia (Australian charity, accept good condition bikes, donations and volunteer support, to send second-hand bikes to communities overseas)
- Tasmanian Bike Collective (Australian charity, focused on mentoring and training young people through the medium of bicycles)
- Bikes4Life (Australian charity, with locations in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane that accepts accept good condition bikes, donations and volunteer support, to send second-hand bikes to communities in Asia and Africa)
Note: Jamboree on Pedals has sought to verify that these organisations are still active, however does not endorse any of them. If you are planning to undertake a project linked to one of these charities, please ensure you reach out to them beforehand to check (especially if planning to collect bikes, as there are often specific requirements around this).
- SDG Challenge: an annual initiative to build awareness and encourage action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Open to both youth and adult members of Scouts Australia.
- Messengers of Peace: the Messengers of Peace badge is a WOSM program that encourages Scouts to explore challenges within their community.
Challenge cards and Plan>Do>Review
Cycling games, activity ideas and resources
- Night Riders: organising a night bike ride
- GPS Arty Adventure: Plan a bike ride with a creative twist by turning your journey into art.
- Bike balance gymnastics: Fun, fast games for practising low speed balancing on your bike.
- Considerate Cycling: Explore the environmental impact of short-cuts